Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Big Gig to City Hall



They say, "You can't fight city hall." My experience has been that is right about 999 out of a 1000 times. It's almost impossible to get one over on city hall.

There's one fella though who is a legend in our area. He's been at a draw (read "stand-off") with the City of Conover, NC, for more than fifteen years. I don't know his name, but I know he's a painter and his business is right across the street from City Hall. My best friend, the late and sorely missed, Mark Smith was the architect who designed this lovely building for the city.

Spiffy new digs has a way of making people get all uppity, you know, and that disease spread swiftly amongst city administration. While they loved their (then) new building, when they looked out a window they saw the delapidated paint business across the street and decided it was an "eye sore." As the story goes, the powers that be approached the painter and demanded he clean up that place, and since he was a painter...he could PAINT it.


AND...

SO...

HE...

DID...
I noticed today that it looked like the building was about to go through another make-over, and if I was ever going to tell this story, I needed to take a picture. He sure made the view colorful for City Hall folk, didn't he? Pink, yellow, green, blue, purple, and the flag? Priceless. If they're about to make him paint it again, I can't wait to see what's coming next.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Judy, nice to have you back in the blog world. I'm a bit behind on reading so I apologize. Love the pics and most times you can't fight City Hall ~ but then sometimes you HAVE TO try!

I, Robot said...

I like this story: "be careful what you ask for..." I hope all is well with you, and it's good to see you posting again.